Bias impacts us all, and more importantly, it is the invisible hand that limits our ability to experience breakthrough results related Equity, Diversity and Inclusion goals. In this course, you will learn about different kinds of bias, why bias exists, explore examples of subtle and not-so-subtle ways that bias shows itself, particularly in workplace settings. You will learn about concepts that are popularly discussed right now including topics like implicit bias and microaggressions. Most importantly, you will get specific tools and resources for addressing bias, your own and others, in ways that are constructive, not judgmental or shame-inducing, and lead to measurable change.
If you are a manager, supervisor, have responsibility for hiring, promotion, coaching, dealing with conflict in any way, this course is for you.
Participants in this course will:
- Better understand the challenges in attracting, retaining and fully engaging top talent, and how you will contribute to an inclusive organization that opens doors to full participation.
- Describe various kinds of bias and how they influence judgements and behaviors.
- Understand and be able to significantly minimize occurrences of migroaggressions and micro-inequities in the workplace.
- Initiate discussion about bias in workplace settings in ways that avoid defensive responses and lead to positive change.
- Use tools to enhance transparency in communication and reach agreement across differences.
- Have an increased understanding of power dynamics and privilege, and their workplace implications.
- Have an increased sense of your own biases and a plan for continued self-education.
This course is for both individuals & organizations that:
- Want to know how to identify bias, and minimize its harmful effects.
- Seek breakthrough thinking, competencies and tools to advance Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion personal and/or professional goals.
Taught by: DeEtta Jones
DeEtta Jones is an invited speaker, equity, diversity and inclusion strategy consultant and author with more than twenty years of experience working with people from around the world on personal effectiveness and building workforce capacity.
How To Pass: Complete all modules, submit questionnaire, pre- and post-test. Upon submission of post-test a certification of completion will be awarded.
- Welcome to The Equity Toolkit!
- Getting oriented to the course
- Demographics survey
- Implicit Bias
- The Case for Social Justice
- Module 1 Summary and Practical Application
- Our Brain's Filter
- 10 Ways Our Unconscious Mind Filters
- Module 2 Summary and Practical Application
- How does bias show itself?
- 1. In the Media
- 2. In everyday language
- 3. In the books we read as children, and now we read to our children
- 4. In position descriptions, selection criteria, performance and evaluation tools
- Worksheet: Reflecting on Your Privilege
- What Allies Do with Privilege
- Module 3 Summary and Practical Application
- Content coming soon
- Module 4 Summary and Practical Application
- Ladder of Inference
- Using the Ladder as a Communication Tool
- Module 5 Summary and Practical Application
- Final Course Exercise: Behavioral Commitments and Action Plan