Bias impacts us all, and more importantly, it is the invisible hand that limits our ability to experience breakthrough results related Equity, Diversity and Inclusion goals. In this course, you will learn about different kinds of bias, why bias exists, explore examples of subtle and not-so-subtle ways that bias shows itself, particularly in workplace settings. You will learn about concepts that are popularly discussed right now including topics like implicit bias and microaggressions. Most importantly, you will get specific tools and resources for addressing bias, your own and others, in ways that are constructive, not judgmental or shame-inducing, and lead to measurable change.
If you are a manager, supervisor, have responsibility for hiring, promotion, coaching, dealing with conflict in any way, this course is for you.
Participants in this course will:
- Better understand the challenges in attracting, retaining and fully engaging top talent, and how you will contribute to an inclusive organization that opens doors to full participation.
- Describe various kinds of bias and how they influence judgements and behaviors.
- Understand and be able to significantly minimize occurrences of migroaggressions and micro-inequities in the workplace.
- Initiate discussion about bias in workplace settings in ways that avoid defensive responses and lead to positive change.
- Use tools to enhance transparency in communication and reach agreement across differences.
- Have an increased understanding of power dynamics and privilege, and their workplace implications.
- Have an increased sense of your own biases and a plan for continued self-education.
This course is for both individuals & organizations that:
- Want to know how to identify bias, and minimize its harmful effects.
- Seek breakthrough thinking, competencies and tools to advance Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion personal and/or professional goals.
Taught by: DeEtta Jones
DeEtta Jones is an invited speaker, equity, diversity and inclusion strategy consultant and author with more than twenty years of experience working with people from around the world on personal effectiveness and building workforce capacity.
How To Pass: Complete all modules, submit questionnaire, pre- and post-test. Upon submission of post-test a certification of completion will be awarded.
- Welcome to The Equity Toolkit!
- Getting oriented to the course
- Demographics survey
- Our Brain's Filter
- Types of Bias
- Module 2 Practical Application: Mindbugs
- Module 2 Practical Application: Conscious, Unconscious and Collective Bias
- Module 2 Practical Application: Implicit Association Test
- Bias in Everyday Language
- Microinequities, Microaggressions, and Microaffirmations
- Bias in the Media
- Bias in Algorithms
- Bias in Values-Rich Institutions
- Workplace Systems and Processes
- Privilege and the Role of Allies
- Worksheet: Reflecting on Your Privilege
- Module 3 Practical Application
- The U Curve
- Code Switching, Confirmation Bias, and Stereotype Threat
- Intent and Impact
- Module 4 Practical Application
- The Ladder of Inference
- Use the Ladder of Inference to Enhance Workplace Communication
- 6 Ideas to Bring to Your Team
- Minimizing Structural Bias: Recruitment
- The Role of Leaders
- White Supremacy
- FAQs of DeEtta and Her Answers
- Module 5 Practical Application
- You did it!
- Final Course Exercise: Behavioral Commitments and Action Plan