Organizational culture is the shared expression of a group’s values and beliefs as reflected behaviorally by every member of the culture. It is embedded in the structures, policies, systems, procedures and incentives of the group. Though every member of an organization has an impact on the culture of the organization, the role and expectation of leaders is undeniable.
Feeling the significant pressure associated with rapidly changing demographics, customer expectations, and an often polarizing political environment, leaders of organizations across many industries are committing to cultural change. Many, though, understanding the magnitude of this commitment, are wrestling with fundamental questions:
- How do we transform our culture to reflect our E, D & I values?
- How will cultural transformation inform our overall business strategy?
- What techniques do we employ to align internal systems and structures in support of E, D & I efforts?
This course is last on purpose. You will use the concepts, tools, and skills from previous courses to examine ways to breathe life—and implementable process—into your inclusion efforts. You will move from having diversity goals to having a plan for transforming your organization’s culture. I will give you the steps, and the associated scaffolding, for cultural transformation in your community, your school district, or where ever you want to make an impact.
You will also get very specific examples that will help you customize more inclusive approaches to engaging your key stakeholders in the cultural transformation process. You will receive guidance to help inform how you look at and approach human resources systems that impact your inclusion goals, like writing job descriptions, conducting performance conversations and creating career paths for people from underrepresented groups. This course is filled with very practical guidance and language that will be easy to translate into your own work.
Participants in this course will:
- Describe essential components necessary for cultural transformation
- Assess your current workplace diversity and inclusion efforts
- Identify specific steps for modifying and/or building upon current workplace diversity and inclusion efforts for increased effectiveness
- Learn best practices for rolling out new efforts that ensure high levels of engagement and accountability
- Identify the most appropriate approach for measuring your Equity, Diversity and Inclusion efforts
- Express confidence in your ability to lead, act as spokesperson, and galvanize the resources needed for a success and sustainability
This course is for both individuals & organizations that:
- Want to learn a process and associated tools for transforming your organization’s culture in support of E, D & I goals.
- Seek breakthrough thinking, competencies and tools to advance Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion personal and/or professional goals.
Taught by: DeEtta Jones
DeEtta Jones is an invited speaker, equity, diversity and inclusion strategy consultant and author with more than twenty years of experience working with people from around the world on personal effectiveness and building workforce capacity.
How To Pass: Complete all modules, submit questionnaire, pre- and post-test. Upon submission of post-test a certification of completion will be awarded.
- Welcome to The Equity Toolkit!
- Demographics survey
- Welcome and Course Overview
- Anchor to Aspiration
- Inclusive Workplaces
- Situated Organization Development
- Understanding Strategy
- Integrated or Separate EDI Strategic Plan
- Developing Your Framework
- The Importance of How
- Identify Goals
- Equity Lens
- The Power of Structure
- Challenge Areas
- Integration and Sustainability
- Organizational Culture
- Building Shared Values
- Using Vignettes
- Cultural Transformation
- DJA Cultural Transformation Framework
- Build Internal Capacity
- Be the Change
- Communication Essentials
- Assessing Individual and Organizational Transformation
- Staying the Course
- Additional references