People at every level play a role in shaping the organization’s culture. Particularly effective, and inclusive, managers and leaders are aware of their own lenses, and possess a multi-faceted sophisticated skill set allows you to read subtle cues and make appropriate behavioral adaptations. These leaders and managers are able to directly and meaningfully engage people from different backgrounds in ways that bring out higher levels of commitment, motivation, clarity and innovation.
The design of this course builds upon research-based best practices in management and leadership overlaid with the lens of equity and inclusivity. The connection between cultural competence, and everyday managerial effectiveness, will be reinforced throughout. The kinds of skills and abilities you will learn will help you nurture a more inclusive workplace environment, and increase overall employee motivation and levels of engagement. You will learn practical techniques for increasing creativity in teams, giving feedback, managing conflict and coaching across cultural differences.
Participants in this course will:
- Understand how inclusive behaviors complement and enhance best practices in management and leadership effectiveness
- Practice behaviors associated with an inclusive workplace
- Demonstrate use of inclusive communication
- Challenge non-inclusive behaviors in a way that minimizes defensiveness and leads to positive change
- Model for others behaviors that contribute to a more inclusive workplace culture
This course is for both individuals & organizations that:
- Want to be more effective and inclusive in their communication
- Seek breakthrough thinking, competencies and tools to advance Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion personal and/or professional goals.
Taught by: DeEtta Jones
DeEtta Jones is an invited speaker, equity, diversity and inclusion strategy consultant and author with more than twenty years of experience working with people from around the world on personal effectiveness and building workforce capacity.
How To Pass: Complete all modules, submit questionnaire, pre- and post-test. Upon submission of post-test a certification of completion will be awarded.
- Welcome to The Equity Toolkit!
- Demographics survey
- Diversity, Deficit, and Equity Models
- Integrating Learning into Your Practice
- Intercultural Learning
- Your Role as Manager
- Traditional Leadership and Management Models
- From Traditional to Contemporary Leadership and Management
- Inclusive Manager Skills
- Check Your Privilege
- Shame, Guilt and Internalized Oppression
- Emotional Intelligence
- Empathy Means Caring About Other People's Lived Experiences
- Practical Application Exercise: Building Empathy
- Module 3 Reflection
- Setting a Positive Tone
- Positivity: Your Intentional Practice
- The Impact of Culture on Organizational Communication Preferences
- High-Context and Low-Context Communication
- High and Low Context: Implications for Managers
- High and Low Context: Your Intentional Practice
- Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation
- Motivators across Cultural Dimensions
- Practical Application Exercise: Managing with Cultural Dimensions in Mind
- Motivation: Psychological Needs and Welfare
- Revisiting the Ladder of Inference
- Motivating in Times of Change
- Coaching with an Equity Mindset
- Coaching for Improved Performance
- Practical Application Exercise: Problem Behavior Analysis
- Power Dynamics and Influencing Strategies
- Power plus Influencing Strategies
- Impact of Diversity on Team Performance
- Establishing Your Team
- Engagement and Creativity
- Group Dynamics and Decision Styles
- Group Decision Making: The Process
- Transparency and Accountability in Group Decision-Making
- What is Inclusive Language?
- We Live in a Non-Binary World
- When Discussing Race and National Origin
- Discussing Disabilities
- Putting it into Practice
- Selected Resources