People at every level play a role in shaping the organization’s culture. Particularly effective, and inclusive, managers and leaders are aware of their own lenses, and possess a multi-faceted sophisticated skill set allows you to read subtle cues and make appropriate behavioral adaptations. These leaders and managers are able to directly and meaningfully engage people from different backgrounds in ways that bring out higher levels of commitment, motivation, clarity and innovation.
The design of this course builds upon research-based best practices in management and leadership overlaid with the lens of equity and inclusivity. The connection between cultural competence, and everyday managerial effectiveness, will be reinforced throughout. The kinds of skills and abilities you will learn will help you nurture a more inclusive workplace environment, and increase overall employee motivation and levels of engagement. You will learn practical techniques for increasing creativity in teams, giving feedback, managing conflict and coaching across cultural differences.
Participants in this course will:
- Understand how inclusive behaviors complement and enhance best practices in management and leadership effectiveness
- Practice behaviors associated with an inclusive workplace
- Demonstrate use of inclusive communication
- Challenge non-inclusive behaviors in a way that minimizes defensiveness and leads to positive change
- Model for others behaviors that contribute to a more inclusive workplace culture
This course is for both individuals & organizations that:
- Want to be more effective and inclusive in their communication
- Seek breakthrough thinking, competencies and tools to advance Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion personal and/or professional goals.
Taught by: DeEtta Jones
DeEtta Jones is an invited speaker, equity, diversity and inclusion strategy consultant and author with more than twenty years of experience working with people from around the world on personal effectiveness and building workforce capacity.
How To Pass: Complete all modules, submit questionnaire, pre- and post-test. Upon submission of post-test a certification of completion will be awarded.
- Welcome to The Equity Toolkit!
- Demographics survey
- Diversity, Deficit, and Equity Models
- Integrating Learning into Your Practice
- Your Role as Manager
- Traditional Leadership and Management Models
- From Traditional to Contemporary Leadership and Management
- Inclusive Manager Skills
- Check Your Privilege
- Practical Application: Checking My Privilege
- Emotional Intelligence
- Increasing Self Awareness: Soliciting Feedback
- Reflection Exercise: Building Empathy
- Mattering and Marginality: Takeaways
- Empathy Means Caring About Other People's Lived Experiences
- Practical Application: Self-Awareness and Empathy
- Setting a Positive Tone
- Positivity: The Research
- Doing your own work: The IDI
- Revisiting The Ladder of Inference
- How Shame and Guilt Limit Effectiveness
- Vicious and Virtuous Cycles
- From Vicious to Virtuous
- Your Intentional Practice
- Practical Application: My Intentional Leadership
- High-Context and Low-Context Communication
- The Impact of Culture on Organizational Communication Preferences
- High and Low Context: Implications for Managers
- Practical Application: Enhancing My Cultural Competence
- Impact of Diversity on Team Performance
- Motivation: Extrinsic and Intrinsic
- Motivators across Cultural Dimensions
- Motivation: Psychological Needs and Welfare
- Motivation: The HOW of Change
- Coaching: Managers as Helpers
- Coaching: The Essentials of Effective Feedback
- Scripting: A Tool for Giving Feedback
- What is Inclusive Language?
- We Live in a Non-Binary World
- When Discussing Race and National Origin
- Discussing Disabilities
- Practical Application: Inclusive Language
- You did it!
- Selected Resources